Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My Favorite Fashion-In-Film Outfits

Fashion class recently showed a movie about the relationship between film and fashion. Ahhh yes, eye candy clothes on the big screen. One of the talking heads said that “movies are like long fashion shows.” I couldn't agree more. The clothes are what I'm watching most of the time anyway!

The doc brought up the typical examples like Audry Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's, 80s workout wear from Flashdance... I was a little miffed that they didn't mention Grace Kelly in Rear Window. As regular readers of this blog would know, I am obsessed with her outfits in that film (see a previous post).

Here are memorable costumes from some of my favorite movies, or at least, costumes that always stick out in my mind. This is going to be a long post because once I start grabbing pictures, it's so hard to stop...


Of course, top of the list is the green dress that Kiera Knightley wears in Atonement, which the documentary mentioned. And I totally agree. It was the most iconic dress of the YEAR and was in high demand for recreation. A girl from my high school wore one to prom. I completely understand this.





Moulin Rouge is a mecca of fabulousity. If ever I was to create wacky corseted over the top early 20th century prostitute wear... this would be it. The costumes from Moulin Rouge are so amazing I can't even stand it. Every single outfit Nicole Kidman wears is gorgeous, from the red dress to the dance costumes to the jewelry. The film won Oscars for costume design and art direction, obviously.


(The original is best! Sorry, Angelina, you're wearing the wrong color shirt anyway.)

Ok, don't kill me on this one, I chose it for sentimental purposes only. I pick Lara Croft from Tomb Raider because her outfit has become iconic for female asskickery: the short shorts, holster, and tight top. I don't even like the movie, I love the VIDEO GAME!!! Tomb Raider 2, which came out in 1996 for original Play Station, was the only video game I have ever actually played (ok, more like watched, it was my brother's...) from start to finish. So sue me.



This one isn't so much related to a movie as it is style branding. Out of Peter Pan, we get the Peter Pan collar. Actually, if you look at Disney's cartoon Peter Pan, it isn't the same collar at all since it's normal and pointy. I like than in Finding Neverland, which is the roundabout story of Peter Pan's creation, they put all the kids (specifically Peter) in this rounded style of collar. Very good costuming decision there.



Marie Antoinette. This movie is relatively dry, plot wise, but visually wonderful. It's a goldmine for all things pastel and French and frilly, which is a huge hit on tumblr (ha!). I wonder how many different outfits Kirsten Dunst actually wore in this film... the dauphine liked her dresses. A lot. It also won an Oscar for costume design.



Let's get some men in here! Here's an old one, just because young Marlon Brando is a sexpot and wears awesome jackets. Oh you working union man, you. This is On the Waterfront.



I love Margot's costume from The Royal Tenenbaums because it's all over the place. She has this pale skin and blond hair that is completely contrasted by her dark eyeliner. Her hair is straight and short , styled with a preschool barrette. Then she wears a striped polo dress like you wore on elementary school picture day paired with a huge fur coat like your grandmother would wear. She's a child trapped in a woman's body who's trying to be more grown up than she is. She's every age in one outfit, which is a pretty remarkable thing.

...I'm going to leave it at that since I could probably go on forever. This was fun, maybe I'll do a post like this again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment