Friday, October 28, 2011

Apple Pie... Thingies

In the spirit of the best season ever, autumn, I made these apple pie-ish things. I say “ish” because they're made with puff pastry instead of pie crust and come in single serving. I found this recipe on my new favorite website, A Beautiful Mess, and altered it a bit.

Pre-heat oven to 350.

  1. Peel and finely chop 2 apples. Mix with 5 tablespoons sugar (you can do half white, half brown if you so choose), and ¾ teaspoon cinnamon.


  2. Let your puff pastry sit out for about 45 minutes to defrost if you have been keeping it in the freezer. Cut into squares or any shape you want. I got about 5 squares out of each sheet.

  3. Spoon some apples on one square and cover with the other square, crimp the sides with a fork. I sprinkled some cinamon and sugar on top before putting them in the oven.

  4. Bake for 20 minutes or until they begin to turn golden brown.

This was the first time I've used puff pastry which I've heard can be temperamental. My first batch didn't cook fully, it just got a little melted and clear looking, you know what I mean? There is no word for this phenomenon in English, but my mother calls it dwakaletz in Polish, so that's what I always say.

Happy Halloweekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment