Monday, April 16, 2012

A Favorite Photographer: yyellowbird

Today I'm going to introduce you to my favorite photographer on Flickr, Carri Ann Wayman, known as yyellowbird. I was introduced to her work a few years ago by my roommate who went to the same high school as her. She's from Rockford, Illinois, which is an hour away from where I live.


Her schtick is abandoned buildings. Well, abandoned anything. I love looking at decaying places because there's something so sad and nostalgic about them. It makes you wonder about the people who used to live there... what kind of life they had... why they left...


The majority of her settings are rural middle-America type places.


I wrote on her tumblr saying that her photos in locations with wallpaper like this remind me of "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins. She said that she always thinks of that story, too. :]


There's also something very lost-wandering-lolita about her style. She dresses very "childish," I guess you could say. Knee socks and little dresses and skirts. I love her clothes!


This one always reminds me of The Wizard of Oz. I'm pretty sure she has been called self-indulgent by some people because she is almost always her own model in her photos. What's wrong with that? Her photos are so personal and so emotional, and abandoned house searching is her hobby. She road trips all over the country shooting these pictures. It only makes sense that she'd be her own model. It's her story.


Please visit her Flickr! I can spend hours clicking through her photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment