Saturday, February 4, 2012

DIY Bird Nest Necklace

Hey guys! I've had a busy week starting my internship at Bridal Guide in NYC and will be pretty busy with that for the next few months, so you can expect updates on weekends only (Probably. Maybe!).

This is a project I did a while ago but never put up, since I didn't have a chain for the necklace yet. I randomed across a tutorial from Sincerely Kinsey that I thought was soooo adorable and really easy, considering I already had the materials. It's a bird nest necklace!


Precious, right? Here's my version. I used silver wire (because I already had it) and blue beads because... they're robin egg colored!


I cut a long length off of the spool since I didn't know how much I was going to be using, it might have been around 5 feet. First, cluster the three beads together and weave them together so they stay securely. Then begin wrapping the wire around the beads in a circle.


After a couple wraps around, you will have a neat, circular coil that will seem rather floppy. Once you get to this point, don't be neat anymore! Weave the wire around the coils and cross behind the beads. If your wire gets bends and random wiggles in it, that's ok! Actually, it looks better and more realistic that way. Have you ever looked at a real bird nest? They're kind of hot messes of weaving random things. Copy that!


Make sure you make a circle at some point where you will be able to thread through a necklace chain. Do this sooner rather than later in your weaving process. If you leave it until the end, it might stretch itself out while you're wearing it. Once you're satisfied with the size of your nest, weave in the end of your wire and make sure it isn't going to be poking you while you're wearing it.


Like I said, I don't have a chain yet... but this is what the pendent looks like! It'll be a great spring necklace.

No comments:

Post a Comment