Friday, November 18, 2011

Melting plastic bags... on clothes

I'm back in the flat: Illinois! I did the usual things that I do when I get home (take a bubble bath and bake cookies) and threw in a little DIY since I have been so deprived at school.

I've had this shirt (dress?) from H&M for a while but I hardly ever wear it because I think it looks like a prison uniform. So I decided to modify it with this amazing tutorial I found here titled “fusing plastic bags on to fabric.” That sounds like all kinds of win to me. So I figured that since grey and white stripes are slightly nautical, I should slap a black plastic bag anchor on my shirt. I found an image and traced it onto a piece of paper. 


After cutting it out, I taped it to a plastic bag and cut out the anchor shape. I'd recommend taping the paper cutout to the plastic bag. I didn't want to pin it because I didn't want to put a hole in the plastic.


Figure out where you want your design to go...


Head over to your iron with a piece of parchment paper (so you don't get goopy melted plastic on it. parchment paper also doesn't burn.). Cover the plastic with the paper and press over with your iron for 20 seconds. Don't be alarmed when the plastic bag starts to shrink a little bit, that's what will happen since it's melting.


No matter how cleanly you cut out the design, the edges will probably get a little wiggly-looking. You can't control how the plastic melts. Let it cool off a little bit before you peel the parchment paper off or your design will peel right off with it.


Pretty cool, yeah?


And I made peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. It's good to be home :]



No comments:

Post a Comment